Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mulligan


Today, I’m forgoing the regular theme to honor my husband. 

St. Patrick’s Day is a really special day.  Not for any obvious reason though – not because of green-colored alcoholic beverages or themed parades or anything related to Ireland.  For me, it’s super special because it’s my wedding anniversary. 

On Saturday, March 17, 2007, I married Frank Arnolts III.  Saying “I do” to him on that day was the best decision I ever made. 

From the very first time I laid eyes on Frank from across our college cafeteria, I knew he was perfect.  I told my friend as much.  I made a reference to the men of Greek mythology.  Then I got to know him.  I had never before in my life known someone who was so extraordinary, inside and out.  I still haven’t met anyone better, body and soul, than my husband.  Not even close. 

This Saturday marks our five year wedding anniversary.  We’ve done a lot in five years.  We bought our first home, several cars, lost a baby, had a baby, lost a job (for a little while) and we’ve taken a few vacations.  The best part of all of that was that we were able to do it together.  And we survived. 

That’s not to say every moment of those five years has been perfect.  We don’t always get along.  I’m not always the most likable person.  We’re pretty famous for our back-and-forth (good-natured!) bickering. 

But I always know, in my heart of hearts, that Frank is the one and only choice for me.  I dated plenty of people before I met Frank.  None of them compare.  Any boy who refused to make it “official,” dumped me by email or AOL IM or tried to get away with bad behavior behind my back wasn’t worth my everlasting love.  Frank has proven again and again that he is worthy, if for no other reason than because he’s exceedingly patient with me. 

The returns I gained in this partnership are manifest in our son Auggie.  He is adorable and perfect and special.  He is the best of both of us, truly.  There’s nothing more that I can do to show my gratitude to Frank for the gift of our son than to try my hardest to raise him right, to do well, give my best. 

And I take our marriage seriously.  I want the two of us to walk away together from any situation and be able to say that we make a great team.  It’s very important to me that Frank and I are on the same page in all things. 

I hope that when it’s all said and done, these five years are just small fraction of the time we accumulate as a couple.  I hope that our son always admires us; I hope that we provide him with a shining example to live by.  I hope that we can look back and be happy about everything that has passed, have no regrets. 

I hope that Frank knows that I love him more than I ever knew that I could love another person.  And if he ever doubted it, at least there will always be this – these eternal words saved on the internet, and hopefully, branded into his heart and memory. 

I love you, Frank!  Thank you for choosing me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment